16 August 2014

Checking In

Many thanks to everyone for the birthday wishes.  I apologize for not commenting to each reply.  I've had a WHIRLWIND of a week and am still recovering.  I drove a dear friend's car from Michigan to DC, spent quality time with my friend, her daughter and ADORABLE 3-year old twin granddaughters, flew back two days after that (although given the crazy weather I probably could have sailed back), and went from quite pleased to majorly pissed with the guy.  He's an asshat who missed out; that is all.

Let's talk about that flight, shall we?  What do you get when you mix an aviation junkie with a three-hour flight delay?

O EM GEE !

Because of the crazy rain we had in the Midwest, my flight out of Baltimore was delayed.  Detroit Metro issued a ground stop and would not let any planes land.  So some of us sat at the gate on our plane; others were allowed to leave and wait inside the airport.  I saw this as a perfect opportunity to ask more flying questions.  I had to get my fix.  I watch Mayday:  Air Crash Investigation for fun.  Seriously.

Whenever I fly, I try to chat up the pilots if they're not busy (or look mad).  I asked the captain a question about the way lift works on the elevators because it seemed contrary to what happens with the ailerons.  (I should have given you a nerd alert.)  Anyway, after getting a short lesson, I was invited to sit in the captain's chair. I was asked questions about the instrument panel (which I got right because...you know...I'm a nerd) and was given a lesson about others that I didn't know.

Then it happened:  jokes and more jokes.  These pilots were frikkin' hilarious.  I dubbed them Captain Curly and First Officer Moe because they were a true comedy team. Then the gate agent and a flight attendant got in on the jokes and the parked plane became a comedy house.  Aah.  Good times.

In all, I had a great birthday weekend by doing what I wanted.  It's sad that the first week of my new year ended on a sad note, but I am better for it and have learned a lot.

***

On the sewing front, I have lots to write about:
  • skinnifying Jalie 2908
  • sewing and fitting Kwik Sew 2960
  • fall sewing plans (yup, a wardrobe)
  • big honkin' darts to princess seams
I'm working on the last dot first because I started sewing my button-front shirt with...wait for it...a COLLAR STAND!  Lord help me.

I neglected to take pictures of my dart-to-princess seams-paper-wizardry, so I'll have to do it again (on a smaller scale) and have the camera ready.

Until next time, peace!

L

27 comments:

  1. Happy Belated Birthday and glad you had a fabulous time. Wishing you many more joyous B-days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a good time doing things you enjoy - that lifts the spirit greatly. The plane sounds a great treat - glad you got to sit in and learn more.

    And, if the guy is an asshat, I know what I would do (your imagination can run wild here...)

    I don;t think you will have trouble with a collar stand - it's really just a collar inserted into sort of another collar - the band. It's a logical process, so just think it through - play with the pieces and I am sure it will make sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah Liz. I had so much fun in the cockpit laughing and learning.

      Yeah, the guy was disappointing, but live and learn.

      I worked on the collar stand and have some comments to share. More soon!

      Delete
  3. L, a whirlwind of a trip indeed,... And wow! You got to sit inside the cockpit, esp. In the captains chair. Holy shit! That must have been fun!

    As for the guy, he should qualify for the biggest loser title.

    Can't wait to see your fall wardrobe plans and sewing..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right! It's the second time I've been in the cockpit of a "live" plane at the gate. So. Many. Buttons!

      I'm quite excited about my fall wardrobe plans - until my iron cooked itself. Oy!

      Delete
  4. Hey if you can manage a jean jacket you will be ok with a collar stand. BTW I have never heard of 'asshat' Ass what? Anyway if he is an ass you are definitely better off without him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I think 'asshat' is the radio-clean version of @$$h()le. =)

      Delete
  5. What a gorgeous picture of you in the captain's seat! Fun post, and I'm sorry the guy was an asshat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary! I was so nervous in the cockpit, too. The jokes definitely helped lighten things up a bit.

      Delete
  6. Lynne, I love this picture of you seating in the captain's seat, how cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Candice! I was there for about a half-hour. I left because we were finally given permission to push back from the gate. It was a lot of fun!

      Delete
  7. When was your birthday?? Sorry I missed it but glad you had a good day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries! I know you have a birthday coming up soon too!

      Delete
  8. I'm amazed they let you in the cabin!

    Sorry the guy didn't work out. The sooner you know, the better.

    Yay for doing all that sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I think passengers aren't allowed on the flight deck during flight. This is the second time I've been in the cockpit post Sep 2001. I think it's okay as long as the plane is parked. =)

      Yeah, the sooner things are revealed, the better. Still disappointing though; I was into him. Oh well.

      Yay for sewing!

      Delete
  9. Happy Belated Birthday from another aviation junkie ;) Always fun sitting in that seat - great photo of you! And sorry about the guy. Take good care, Sheenagh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheenagh! Oh man, flying is so fascinating isn't it? I'd love to hear more of your stories!

      Delete
    2. And I would love to share! Ha ha I feel a big nerdy discussion of lift and drag is in order! Not sure how to get in touch with you? Very happy to pass on any suggestions/advice and share my own experiences with you. It is so nice to see your enthusiasm! Sheenagh

      Delete
  10. PS I think you should seriously think about learning to fly - with the knowledge you already have and your interest in aviation, you'd be perfect. We need more women in aviation ;) Sheenagh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really thinking about it. I've looked into some local flying schools. I've got to wrap my head around the cost (O_o) and devote some time to actually doing it. I've got the basics down, but I still have lots to learn.

      Delete
  11. You are a nerd but love it, glad you had a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. TOTAL nerd! Thanks Sharon!

      Delete
  12. OMG - twins again. I love Air Crash Investigations! What the heck is wrong with us?? I watch that show and some plane is almost stalling & I yell at the TV - nose down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bwahahaha! I told you. =) I know, I know! Nose down, increase thrust!!! All things considered, ACI really is a great show because it explains so much of the science of flight.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...